Monday, September 30, 2013

it's productive to revist your goals. -blog 7


Throughout my educational experience I’ve had few things that I have had issues with. I’ve never been strongly suited for the sciences, measuring substances and identifying rocks are not my thing; mathematics never really caught my attention, invisible numbers and letters as numbers should not be a thing;  but social studies and English that’s where I shine a little brighter. (semi-colon as a super coma?) I never had to put too much effort into the areas that already caught my attention because (because at the end without a coma) they already came a little more naturally than the other subjects. Writing as a whole is something that has come naturally to me throughout my education, but it’s the little issues in my writing that have slid by. I sometimes over look the distinctions between there, their and they’re or you’re and your, though I know there different purposes and uses, without a second glance. (though used to insert a side note) I naturally slide comas in where they don’t belong as well as forgetting  to put them where they should be and my sentence variance isn’t always as strong as it should be. Because (start the sentence with because) the basics never really became habits for me, I am finding it more difficult to make them habits now. As a writer, over the course of this semester this is what I want to focus on; as a writer I want the basics to become habits. (Semi- colon used as a mirror?)
Another thing I would love to get a better handle on over the course of this semester is creating a greater sense of variation in my in punctuation.  As I sit here reflecting on the work I have done up until this point in both my educational career and personal writing a lot of it is very one dimensional in a sense. Most of this I understand has been my lack of desire to do so, but I also don’t ever really recall being told or taught what my options were. Now I am not using that as an excuse because like I said I haven’t put in the strongest effort to learn something new and put it to use in this area, but now I seemingly have the perfect opportunity to do so. I want to be able to incorporate semicolons, dashes, and parentheses to give my sentence structure something different; to give it depth. (semi-colon used for connection to a short sentence)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't notice any errors of your uses of the POW's. I wasn't sure about your semi-colon as a super comma but after revisiting it on "The Oatmeal," I realized that you did use it correctly. However your use of "though" in the middle of a sentence was correct, the sentence itself could have been stronger; it sounded a little choppy. There were a couple "so's" in your blog, but you said "to do so," therefore I'm not sure if that is supposed to be corrected or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I forgot to mention that you were missing a sentence that started with "nor."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solid effort, Savanah...
    some right, some wrong...


    missing - nor
    X – supercomma (lots of run-together sentences and comma splices within your sentence)
    Correct – because at end
    X – though
    Correct – Because starting a sentence
    Correct - Semicolon as mirror (just need a comma after "as a writer" )
    X – semicolon joining a long and short sentence (your short sentence is a fragment.

    ReplyDelete